The overarching aim for English at Greet is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. We want to prepare our pupils for their secondary education and later life.
Our English curriculum, aligned closely to the Primary national curriculum, aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; being able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, are able to make formal presentations, demonstrate to others and participate in debate.